Solar Constant and Important Notes
Solar constant (s)
- Solar energy incident on unit area in unit time normally.
- Its value is 1400 for surface of earth
- Where R=Radius of sun, r= Distance of earth from sun, T=Temperature of sun
- Mercury though a liquid is heated by conduction and not by convection.
- It is the opening that acts as a black body in Ferry`s Black body.
- In a dark room a hot black body shines more than others.
- Radiation emitted from a perfectly black body does not depend on the nature of its material.
- Radiation is the fastest way of heat transfer.
- When a green glass is heated to high temperature it will glow with the red light.
- Birds often swell their feathers in winter because the air enclosed inside feather is bad conductor of heat.
- We cannot boil water inside an earth satellite by convection.
- Two thin blankets are warmer than a single blanket of double the thickness. (air trap inside the double blanket is bad conductor of heat)